SF is a food lovers paradise and you will find dozens of places to savor one of the best burgers in San Francisco. My list includes options for all budgets.
You will find great deals at places like the Bean Bag Cafe or Pearl's Deluxe Burgers. You will also find higher end experiences at Maven and Wayfare Tavern.
Read on to find 10 great places to pick up one of the most flavorful burgers in town.
Disclaimer: I receive a small commission from some of the links on this page.
The Bean Bag Cafe is the perfect spot for a casual burger experience. This cute cafe is located near Alamo Square on Divisadero and Hayes.
The burger options are simple, and they come with fries. They also have some of the best beer prices in SF during happy hour.
Average Price: $5.50 to $7.45 for a burger
Address: 601 Divisadero Street
District: Alamo Square/NoPa
If you want a traditional cheeseburger with no fuss, then head over to the Garaje in the SOMA District. They have just one cheeseburger on the menu and it's called the Drive In Cheeseburger. It has American cheese, grilled onions, and 1000 island dressing.
You will also love their selection of beers, as well as, their tasty tacos.
Average Price: $6.00 for the single burger, $8.00 for the double, other items range from $4 to $11 each
Address: 475 3rd Street
Pearl's Deluxe Burgers is another casual burger joint and it is just a few blocks away from Union Square. The inside is small and there is usually a line, but it's worth the wait.
They serve Kobe Beef and Buffalo Burgers. You can substitute any burger with chicken, turkey, or a veggie burger. You also get to select from the 1/4 pound and 1/2 pound burger options. I usually order the Prized Pearl or the Pesto burger.
I also love their spries, which is an order of half sweet potato and half regular fries.
Average Price: $7 for the 1/4 pound, $9 for the 1/2 pound
Address: 708 Post Street
District: Union Square
Another burger place I think you will truly enjoy is Roam Artisan Burgers. You start by selecting the type of meat you want for your burger (beef, bison, turkey, or veggie). You then select the style, or you can select your own toppings. My favs here are the French and Fries, Tejano (I dream about this one!), and BBQ.
If you are really hungry, you can also add on fries, a salad, or some veggies. The price is also reasonable for the amount you get.
Average Price: Set style burger prices are $9 to $12, they price it by item for the "make your own" option which starts at $8
Address: 1923 Fillmore Street
Address: 1785 Union Street
When I head out for a burger, I love the more casual places. Super Duper Burger is the least expensive and most casual place on my list. It's actually a small chain restaurant in the Bay Area. You will find six in SF, two in the North Bay, and two in the South Bay.
Their gourmet burgers are cooked to medium and are both flavorful and juicy. You can choose to order their 4-ounce burger (which is what I choose because I LOVE their fries) or the 8 ounce burger (which is two 4 ounce burgers on top of each other).
You can then choose what you want on top. Most toppings are free, but there is a small charge for others.
Average Price: $6 to $8 for the base burgers
Metreon in SOMA (near Union Square)
Address: 783 Mission Street
Address: 2304 Market
Financial District #1
Address: 346 Kearny Street
Financial District #2
Address: 98 Market Street
Financial District #3
117 New Montgomery Street
Address: 721 Market Street
Address: 2201 Chestnut Street
Discounts on Groupon: One of the best places to find discounts for dining in SF is on Groupon.com. They offer deals for a variety of restaurants all around SF. It's a great way to save on your visit. Click here to check out the current deals on Groupon.com today!
6. Maven: Lower Haight, 598 Haight Street, my personal favorite high-end burger is the one at Maven in the Lower Haight, it has the perfect mix of sweet and savory for what I would consider the perfect burger, $18 per burger. They have just one burger on their menu. Other tasty items include their Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Mole Rubbed Flank Steak, and a variety of small plates.
7. Umami Burger: SoMa, 242 King Street, casual burger joint with a great selection of gourmet burgers, my favorite is their Truffle Burger, burgers start at around $10 each
8. Wayfare Tavern: Financial District, 558 Sacramento Street, the Wayfare Tavern is a pricier place to grab a burger, and they have only one, but their Tavern Burger is amazing, it includes high-end ingredients and is the perfect find for burger lovers, starts at $22 per plate
9. Mo's Grill: North Beach, 1322 Grant Avenue, another budget friendly option is Mo's Grill, this diner offers a wonderful selection of comfort food options including some very tasty burgers from the grill, burgers start at around $8
10. NoPa: NoPa/Alamo Square District, 560 Divisadero, this is another high-end experience, they serve up American food six days a week, their burger is wood grilled and comes with pickled onions and fries, it's $20 per plate
San Francisco is currently on a shelter-in-place order through May 3, 2020. Learn more on my coronavirus page.
Hi there! I'm Jill Loeffler and welcome to my site. I've been exploring San Francisco for almost two decades and I can't wait to help you find the best things to do here! Thanks for stopping by and please contact me if you have any questions before your trip.