San Francisco Motels
The Five Best Budget-Friendly Options with Free Parking
San Francisco motels offer you the chance to visit the city for less. My list of five top picks all offer free parking as well as many other amenities. Highlights include the Coventry Motor Inn in the Marina, the Travelodge near the Presidio, and the Columbus Motor Inn in North Beach.
The challenge with these accommodations is that they are booked quickly, so I recommend grabbing a room as soon as you have your dates set. To help you select the right one, I've also included some nearby attractions and restaurants.
In addition, I've included two bonus options that have inexpensive parking (and sometimes you will get it for free). Read on for details about each one and to find the perfect fit for your stay.
For some of the links on this page, I receive a small commission when you purchase. You don't pay more when you buy through me and it gives me the chance to offer you all this great content for free!
Coventry Motor Inn
Address: 1901 Lombard Street
Nightly Rates: Around $145 - $286
Neighborhood: Marina District
One of the best San Francisco motels is the Coventry Motor Inn. The great thing about this motel is that it is clean and has complimentary covered parking. SF parking is expensive, so getting a free spot is a huge plus!
It's close to public transportation, so you can easily get to other areas of the city including Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square, and the Haight-Ashbury District.
In addition to the free parking, you will also have:
- Free high speed internet
- Non-smoking rooms
- Your choice of one king, two queens, or two double beds
- Well lit seating and work area in each room
- Color TV and coffee maker in each room
- Individually controlled heating/air conditioning
- Marina Green/SF Waterfront: 5 blocks north
- Union Street: Restaurants, bars, and shopping just 3 blocks south
- Fisherman's Wharf: 10 minutes away on the #30 bus
- Crooked Part of Lombard Street: It's a steep climb, but it's only 8 blocks east
- Fort Mason Center: 5 blocks north
- Palace of Fine Arts: 10 blocks west
- Presidio: 9 blocks west
My Favorite Restaurants Near this Motel
- Pacific Catch: Casual seafood restaurant with great fish tacos, salads and other simple seafood dishes, great for lunch or dinner. 2027 Chestnut Street
- Luisa's Italian Restaurant: Cute, traditional Italian restaurant. 1851 Union Street
- Judy's Cafe: Casual brunch or lunch spot, great place to grab a seat outside on sunny days. 2268 Chestnut Street
- The Sandwich Spot: Amazing sandwiches and salads, you can grab and go or eat there. 3213 Pierce Street
Find the best deals for the Coventry Motor Inn on TripAdvisor.
Travelodge at the Presidio
Address: 2755 Lombard Street
Nightly Rates: Around $169 - $262
Neighborhood: Marina District
The Travelodge at the Presidio is another one of the San Francisco motels that I’d recommend for those on a budget.
This motel in San Francisco is located close enough to walk to both the Presidio and the Palace of Fine Arts. It’s also close to the Golden Gate Bridge.
You can easily grab public transportation to get to other key neighborhoods throughout the city.
Some of the amenities here include:
- Free parking
- Free high speed internet
- Free continental breakfast every morning
- Cable TV, safes, and air conditioning in all rooms
- Pets allowed with a small pet fee
- Presidio: Lombard Street Gate is just 2 blocks away
- Disney Museum: Inside the Presidio, about a 10 minute walk from the hotel
- Palace of Fine Arts: About a 10 minute walk north
- Crissy Field: About a 15 minute walk north
- Lyon Street Stairs: 5 blocks away (The only problem is that you will be at the bottom of them!)
- Golden Gate Bridge: Bus stop to get to the bridge is just 2 blocks away
Favorite Restaurants Nearby
- Presidio Social Club: Perfect for Saturday or Sunday brunch, also features a great selection for lunch and dinner. Just inside the Presidio. New American cuisine. 563 Ruger Street
- Starbucks: Okay, it's not an amazing place to eat, but the perfect place to grab your cup of morning joe. It's just a couple of blocks away, right inside the Presidio. Building C, 1 Letterman Drive
- Baker Street Bistro: Just around the corner from the hotel, you'll find authentic French cuisine. Make reservations if possible, since it gets full quickly. 2953 Baker Street
Compare prices for the Travelodge at the Presidio on Booking.com.
Columbus Motor Inn
Address: 1075 Columbus Street
Nightly Rates: Around $170 - $296
Neighborhood: North Beach
The Columbus Motor Inn is a hidden gem in the city. It's one of the San Francisco motels that is clean and reasonably priced. It's also right between the popular North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf neighborhoods.
At this hotel, you will find free parking and free high speed internet access. Other amenities available at this 45-room motel include:
- Spacious rooms and family suites
- Serta Perfect Sleeper Mattresses
- 100% non-smoking
- Well lit seating and work areas in all rooms
- Plasma TV, CD clock-radio, and individually controlled heat and air conditioning
- North Beach: All North Beach attractions just a few blocks away
- Fisherman's Wharf: The heart of Fisherman's Wharf is about 5 blocks northeast
- The Cannery: 4 blocks northwest on Columbus Avenue
- Ghirardelli Square: 6 blocks northwest
- Coit Tower: The 39 bus, which takes you up the steep hill to Coit Tower, is just 3 blocks away on the corner of Powell and Francisco Streets. The ride from here is only about 10 minutes
- Diego Rivera Mural: One of Diego Rivera's famous murals is just 2 blocks away, inside the SF Art Institute at 800 Chestnut Street
- Lombard Street: The crooked section of Lombard Street is 4 blocks west of the hotel at Lombard and Leavenworth
My Favorite Restaurants Nearby
- Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House: Yes, it's a strange combination, but for some reason Kennedy's is able to do both very well. They also feature pool tables and a great happy hour. It's just around the corner from the hotel and a great go-to place when staying here. 1040 Columbus Avenue
- Pat's Cafe: This is just a block away and the perfect spot for brunch. They open at 7:30am each morning, so you can grab a hearty breakfast before you set out for the day's adventure. 2330 Taylor Street
- La Rocca's Corner: This isn't a restaurant, but I wanted to mention it. It's a cute dive bar just a couple of blocks away. You will find some great beer selections and a local crowd that has been coming here for years. 957 Columbus Avenue
- Albona Ristorante Istriano: This is the only restaurant on the west coast serving Istrian cuisine—it's a mixture of Italian with eastern European additions such as cumin, pasta strudels, and sauerkraut. Here you're sure to get an interesting mix of flavors and a unique San Francisco experience. It is just a block and a half east of the hotel. 545 Francisco Street
Another fun way to enjoy the North Beach District is by using my "Perfect Day in North Beach" itinerary. This self-guided tour explains how to see all the top attractions in this district in just one day.
This is a great find in the city, but book early since rooms go quickly! Compare prices and book your room for the Columbus Motor Inn on TripAdvisor.
Other Highly Rated San Francisco Motels with Free Parking
Redwood Inn: 1530 Lombard Street
- Another one of the San Francisco motels with free parking. It's in a great location along Lombard Street. You can easily get to other parts of the city from here, and/or enjoy many of the restaurants and bars right in the area.
- Neighborhood: Marina
- Price range: $125 - $185
Marina Motel: 2576 Lombard Street
- This is one of the San Francisco motels where you will find free breakfast, parking, and high-speed internet access. Pets are allowed and most rooms have a kitchenette. Make sure you ask for a courtyard room, as the front-facing rooms are right on the busy part of Lombard Street.
- Neighborhood: Marina District
- Price range: $147 - $245
A Few Other San Francisco Motels with Inexpensive Parking
Hotel Del Sol: 3100 Webster Street
- This colorful motel has free breakfast and parking. They also have an outdoor swimming pool, wheelchair access rooms and a pet-friendly policy.
- Neighborhood: Marina District
- Price range: $194 - $393
Ocean Park Motel: 2690 46th Avenue
- This motel is just steps from Ocean Beach. Its quiet location in the cool, San Francisco fog allows you to escape from the crazy city streets each day.
- Neighborhood: Outer Sunset
- Price range: $75 - $175
Find the best deal, compare prices, and read what other travelers have to say about these and other San Francisco hotels on TripAdvisor.
Other Great Hotel Options
Back to the Top