SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAIL TO RECEIVE YOUR FREE SAN FRANCISCO PLANNING GUIDE.
by Jill Loeffler •
Updated: February 2, 2023
Love is in the air this Valentine's Day in San Francisco. This 2023 insider's guide shows you the top things to do including where to find the best hideaways and intimate places for dinner or drinks.
You'll get great ideas on how to make the evening or weekend with your valentine extra special.
Read on to find the best restaurant menus, romantic bars, and a few hidden hotels. You will also find information about top events for the holiday, including SF Broadway performances and a few Valentine's Day bay cruises.
This year, Valentine's Day is on a Tuesday night, so I've included activities for the weekend before so you have plenty of options.
Disclaimer: I receive a small commission from some of the links on this page.
The Great San Francisco Pillow Fight is an unsanctioned event each year. This means that no one is really in charge, there is no permit, and whether it happens or not depends on how many people show up.
Most years, it is held at Justin Herman Plaza. It's open to everyone and starts at 5:50 pm on February 14. Make sure to arrive with your pillow in a bag.
When the clock strikes 6 pm, it's time to begin the fun. Please don't hit anyone without a pillow in their hand (unless they want you to hit them)!
Since this is an unsanctioned event and there is really no one in charge, details can change at anytime.
You will find two Broadway shows this February in San Francisco. Both offer performances the weekend before and on Valentine's Day.
Mean Girls: What is it like to hang with the popular girls in high school? Mean Girls is based on the movie with the same name and takes you through what Cady experiences as she moves to a new school and becomes popular, but also caught in a web of lies and deceit. Find tickets on StubHub.
Dear Evan Hansen: Follow the story of Evan as he struggles in high school. After a friend dies, everyone assumes that Evan and he are close, so Evan starts to get more support from those around him. He now has to decide if he wants to continue with the lie or tell the truth. Find out what he does this February in SF. Find tickets on StubHub.
>> Find tickets to the weekend performances
>> Check out more shows on the full SF Theater Calendar
Spend your Valentine's Day at he Aquarium of the Bay on Pier 39. Enjoy a night of drinks, live music, and a chance to explore over 24,000 animals during this after hours event.
They will have a cash bar for beer, wine, and champagne. You will also find dessert stations all around the aquarium.
This 18+ event runs from 7 pm to 10 pm.
>> Visit their site for more details and to pick up your tickets today!
If you and your date enjoy music, you will love heading to an SF Symphony performance.
All shows are at the Davies Symphony Hall.
>> Find additional information & tips to attend a performance
This Valentines Day in San Francisco, you will find several fun concerts. Some of the top picks include shows at the Chase Center, the Warfield, and the Nob Hill Masonic Center. You will also find great options at venues all around the SF Bay Area.
Here are just a few options:
2/11: Eden at the Warfield
2/11 & 2/12: Unwound at The Regency Ballroom
>> Find additional concerts this holiday week here
The SF Ballet offers one shows this holiday week.
On Valentine's Day Weekend in San Francisco, you can catch Garland/Roberts/Rowe Premiers on stage at the War Memorial Opera House. The performance is on Saturday, February 11 at 2 pm.
>> More about the SF Ballet and a full schedule
You will find a good selection of bay cruises for Valentine's Day every year. Read on for details about your best 2023 options.
Premier Valentine's Cruise
Valentine's Signature Dinner Cruise
SF Bay Cruise Adventure
San Francisco Twilight Cruise
More SF Bay Cruises: Top Five SF Bay Cruises
There are hundreds of hotels in San Francisco, but many are in the chaos of the city. Here you will find some of my favorite 'off the beaten path' options, where you can spend a little time snuggling with your sweetheart.
Are you looking for a great hotel deal for Valentine's Day? Several hotels are already offering deals for Valentine's Day 2022. Visit TripAdvisor for the most up-to-date list of hotel deals available for your special Valentine's Day celebration!
Other fun things do to this Valentine's Day in San Francisco is to explore the city on one of these tours. You can sample some of our gourmet goodies, learn more about the history of our colorful city, or search for our famous parrots around Telegraph Hill.
Here are five fun tours to check out this holiday weekend.
1. North Beach & Little Italy Food Tour: Enjoy the tastes of San Francisco's Little Italy neighborhood, North Beach. On this 3-hour tour, you will sample fresh baked breads, handmade pizza, local olive oils, and more. This tour runs daily at 10am and 2pm. Check ticket availability for this food tour.
2. Free Walking Tours: Every day of the week, SF City Guides offers free walking tours of top districts and attractions. You can explore the Golden Gate Bridge, learn all about the Chinatown District, and discover key points of interest from the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. Find out more about the tours offered for this weekend.
3. SF Vista Helicopter Tour: Make the day extra special with a 15 minute helicopter ride over the SF Bay. This tour lasts around 2 hours with about 15 to 20 minutes of flight time over the bay. It starts and ends in San Carlos and they don't pick up in SF, so you will need to find your way down on your own for this tour. See all the bay area has to offer from above! Learn more about this amazing adventure.
4. Napa & Sonoma Day Tour: If you and your honey love wine, then head up to Napa and Sonoma on this fun full day tour. You will visit wineries in both regions and learn all about the wine making process. You will taste at 3 wineries and also get some free time to explore during lunch. Get information about the tour and ticketing information.
5. Half-Day Muir Woods Tour: Spend some time among the Coastal Redwood Tress at Muir Woods National Park. This half-day tour offers you the chance to get up close and personal with these trees. Many of them are hundreds of years old. The tour runs all weekend long. You can also choose to return to SF on the Sausalito Ferry. Find out more and get ticketing details.
These are some of the best restaurants for you and your sweetie!
All prices exclude taxes and gratuity. Tables fill up quickly so book yours today on OpenTable.com.
Other Restaurants You Might Enjoy: Fine Dining | Italian | Union Square
Are you interested in grabbing a drink with your valentine? This year, the holiday is on a Monday night, when many bars close. However, you will find that all of the bars below offer hours for your Monday night romantic getaway.
Hotel Biron Wine Bar: This is a cute and very small wine bar in the Hayes Valley neighborhood. It's off the main street and the perfect place to grab a drink either before or after dinner. They are open every day from 5 pm - 1 am. They're located at 45 Rose Street (between Market Street & Gough Street).
The Barrel Room: Here's another romantic and low key option for your visit. It has an intimate setting and is the perfect date night location. They serve wine and beer, and offer lovely lunch and dinner menus. Their hours are Monday - Friday 5 pm to 10 pm. You can find them at 415 Sansome Street.
Scarlet Lounge: This cute cocktail bar and lounge is in the Inner Richmond District. This local neighborhood allows you to relax and unwind from a fun day of Valentine's celebrations. It opens at 4 pm and closes a midnight. You'll find it at 408 Clement Street.
Lost Resort: This is another fun, small place that is perfect for a romantic night on the town. This cocktail bar offers tasty American dishes as well. You'll find it in the Mission District at 2736 20th Street. It's open from 4 pm to midnight on Tuesdays.
Lone Palm: Another great spot for Valentine's Day in San Francisco is the Lone Palm. This cute spot is also in the Mission District, is inexpensive (for local standards), and a fun, local, sort of dive bar feel. It's at 3394 22nd Street and is open from 4 pm to 2 am on Tuesday nights.