Valentine's Day in San Francisco
Ideas to Make Your 2018 Getaway Extra Special
Love is in the air this Valentine's Day in San Francisco. This 2018 insider's guide shows you the top things to do including where to find the best hideaways and intimate places for dinner or drinks. You'll get great ideas on how to make the evening or weekend with your valentine extra special.
Read on to find the best restaurant menus, romantic bars, and a few hidden hotels. You will also find information about top events for the holiday, including SF Broadway performances and a few Valentine's Day bay cruises.
One of several colorful hearts on display in San Francisco's Union Square
For some of the links on this page, I receive a small commission when you purchase. You don't pay more when you buy through me and it gives me the chance to offer you all this great content for free!
Great San Francisco Pillow Fight
The Great San Francisco Pillow Fight will once again be at Justin Herman Plaza this year. It's open to everyone and starts at 5:50pm on February 14. Make sure to arrive with your pillow in a bag. When the clock strikes 6pm, it's time to begin the fun. Please don't hit anyone without a pillow in their hand (unless they want you to hit them)!
Other Things to Do on Valentine's Day in San Francisco
San Francisco Theater & Best of Broadway Shows
Head to the thater this Valentines Day in San Francisco! Catch performances of The Book of Mormon at the Orpheum Theater the entire week of Valentine's Day (2/6-3/4). This funny Broadway show is written by the creators of South Park. Join two missionaires in Africa as they work to spread the word of God.
Other shows this week include include Born Yesterday at the SF Playhouse and Still at Risk at the New Conservatory Theater.
>> Check out more shows on the full SF Theater Calendar
San Francisco Symphony Performances
If you and your date enjoy classical music, the weekend before Valentine's Day, you can attend a performance of Beethoven's Emperor Concerto (2/8-2/10) by the SF Symphony. You can also catch the Symphony the weekend after. They will be performing Beethoven's Eroica (2/15-2/17).
>> Find additional information & tips to attend a performance
SF Chronicle Wine Competition
The San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition is the largest competition of American wines in the world. This highly anticipated event offers a public tasting where you can sip and sample the wines entered into the competition. The 2018 public tasting is the Saturday after Valentine's Day in San Francisco, February 17. This tasting usually sells out in advance, so buy your tickets online to reserve your spot today.
>> Event & ticketing information
This Valentines Day in San Francisco, you will find several fun concerts. Some of the top picks include Dua Lipa (2/13 at the Nob Hill Masonic Center), Beth Hart (2/13 at the Palace of Fine Arts), and Dan Auerbach (2/14 at the Fillmore).
>> Find additional concerts this holiday week here
The SF Ballet offers two shows this holiday week. On Valentine's Day in San Francisco, you can catch Bright Fast Cool Blue on stage at the War Memorial Opera House starting at 7:30pm. The second performance on stage this week is Distinctly SF Ballet. Both shows are on stage several times this week.
>> More about the SF Ballet and a full schedule
Half-Priced Tickets for Valentine's Day in SF
The following events and tours are offering tickets at up to 50% off on Goldstar. It's a great way to save while still spoiling yourself and your sweetie!
Magic & Dinner Show With Dan Chan: K-Elements BBQ is the setting for this Magic & Dinner show with local magician, Dan Chan, two shows on Valentine's, one at 6pm and one at 8pm
Man of La Mancha: Head over to the Custom Made Theater for an adaptation of Don Quixote. This story puts author Cervantes in a prison after being captured by the Inquisition. With his prisoners, they stage a mock trail with stories about Don Quixote. Show starts at 8pm.
A Night with Author Dan Pink: The Jewish Community Center will host the author of Drive and To Sell Is Human, find tips to flourish at work, in life and in your relationships, starts at 7:30pm
More Events on Valentine's Day in San Francisco
Special Valentine's Day in San Francisco Bay Cruises
You will find a good selection of bay cruises for Valentine's Day every year. Read on for details about your best 2018 options.
Aphrodite's Premier Valentine's Cruise
- Offered Wednesday, February 14
- 3-hour cruise
- 4-course seated dinner
- Hosted Top Shelf Bar
- DJ entertainment and dancing
- Business casual attire
- Beautiful views of SF from the bay
- Board at 6:45pm, cruise leaves Pier 3 at 7:30pm
- Tickets start at $179 per person (plus taxes and fees)
- Buy tickets today on Hornblower
Amore Valentine's Dinner Cruise
- Offered only on Wednesday, February 14
- 3-hour cruise
- Delicious dinner buffet
- Hosted premium bar
- Board at 6:15pm and leave at 7:00pm
- Business casual attire
- Tickets start at $145 per person (plus taxes and other fees)
- Buy tickets today
You will also find several cruises the weekend before Valentine's Day on Hornblower. Click here to check out their other cruises for this holiday.
Other Valentine's Day and Weekend Cruises
SF Bay Cruise Adventure
- 1-hour cruise around the SF Bay
- Listen to the narration as you cruise past top attractions including the Palace of Fine Arts, Alcatraz Island, and Sausalito
- Cruise under the famous Golden Gate Bridge for some of the best views of this gorgeous structure
- Several cruises leave several times a day, every day
- Tickets at up to 50% offon Goldstar
San Francisco Twilight Cruise
- 2-hour cruise around the SF Bay
- A great option for the night or weekend before Valentine's Day
- Hearty appetizers and one cocktail with ticket (you can buy additional drinks in cash at the bar)
- Cruise past Alcatraz, see the shores of Sausalito, and ride under the Golden Gate Bridge
- Live commentary from the captain
- Indoor and outdoor seating
- Leaves from Pier 43 at 5:30pm, Thursday - Monday only
- Tickets on sale on Viator
More SF Bay Cruises: Top Five SF Bay Cruises
SF Bay Area: Find additional Valentine's Day events around the Bay Area. Click here for details.
Five Romantic San Francisco Hotels
There are hundreds of hotels in San Francisco, but many are in the chaos of the city. Here you will find some of my favorite 'off the beaten path' options, where you can spend a little time snuggling with your sweetheart.
- Hotel Drisco: This is a small four-star hotel in San Francisco's Pacific Heights neighborhood. It's set among some of the most beautiful houses and mansions in the city. The neighborhood is quiet, but close to many cute shops, restaurants and bars. 2901 Pacific Avenue. Rooms start at around $275 a night.
- The Inn at the Presidio: This newer inn offers a great getaway within the city. It sits inside the gates of the Presidio, an old army base and national historic landmark. They offer 22 rooms and 17 of them are suites. Many offer a small outdoor patio with a gas fire pit and porches with rocking chairs. Inside the rooms you'll find gas fireplaces and plenty of luxury. 42 Moraga Avenue. Rooms start at around $195 a night.
- Union Street Inn: The Union Street Inn is a romantic bed and breakfast in San Francisco's Marina District. With only six guest rooms, you always get warm and personalized service. There is also a serene cottage garden which is a beautiful spot for a relaxing breakfast or afternoon tea. 2229 Union Street. Rooms start at around $220 a night.
- Chateau Tivoli Bed and Breakfast: This small B&B is just steps from Alamo Square Park and the colorful Victorians (also known as Painted Ladies) that surround it. Set in a historic building, Chateau Tivoli offers nine guest rooms. Enjoy some time on your own or join others for some wine and snacks each afternoon. 1057 Steiner Street. Rooms start at around $100 a night.
- Cavallo Point: You'll find this 4.5-star hotel just to the north of the Golden Gate Bridge. This resort offers some of the best views of the bridge and the city of San Francisco. You can choose either unique historic or contemporary lodging. There is also a spa on site, where you and your valentine can relax in its peaceful and tranquil setting. Murray Circle, the on-site restaurant, serves up some of the best dishes in the Bay Area. 601 Murray Circle. Rooms start at around $314 a night.
Are you looking for a great hotel deal for Valentine's Day? Several hotels are already offering deals for Valentine's Day 2018. Visit TripAdvisor for the most up-to-date list of hotel deals available for your special Valentine's Day celebration!
Restaurant Specials on Valentine's Day
These are some of the best restaurant specials for you and your sweetie!
- 54 Mint: Italian restaurant in SOMA with a 4-course meal for $85 per person, optional wine pairing also available.
- Gardenias: American in Pacific Heights, 3-course for $85 per person.
- Foreign Cinema: 3-course for $125 per person, vegetarian options available. Californian restaurants in the Mission.
- Cocotte: French in Russian Hill. 3-course dinner for $89 per person.
- Pabu: Financial District Japanese restaurant, 7-course Family Style menu for $149 per person.
- Roka Akor: Steakhouse in the Financial District. 5-course menu for 2, $108 per person.
- Central Kitchen: Contemoporary Amerian restaurant in the Mission. Elevated tasting menu at $125 per person.
- Spruce: Presidio Heights gem with a $160 per person 4-course prix fixe menu.
- Canela Bistro & Wine Bar: Spanish in the Castro, $65 per person.
All prices exclude taxes and gratuity. Tables fill up quickly so book yours today on OpenTable.com.
Other Restaurants You Might Enjoy: Fine Dining | Italian | Union Square
Other Top Events in SF in February
Five Romantic SF Bars
Are you interested in grabbing a drink with your valentine? Here are a few romantic spots to check out.
- Hotel Biron Wine Bar: This is a cute and very small wine bar in the Hayes Valley neighborhood. It's off the main street and the perfect place to grab a drink either before or after dinner. They are open every day from 5pm - 2am. They're located at 45 Rose Street (between Market Street & Gough Street).
- The Hidden Vine: This is another wine bar hidden just a few streets away from Union Square. It's cute, quaint, and the perfect place for a date night. They are open on Mondays 4 - 10pm, and Tuesday - Saturday 4pm - 12am. The address is 408 Merchant Street.
- Muka Underground Wine & Dessert Lounge: Do you want to grab drinks and something sweet? If so, head over to Muka. This cute and romantic bar serves wine, beer, and some of the most amazing desserts. They also offer a small number of savory options such as crispy pommes frites and fromage & charcuterie plates. They open every day from 4pm - 1am at 370 Grove Street.
- The Barrel Room: Here's another romantic and low key option for your visit. It has an intimate setting and is the perfect date night location. They serve wine and beer, and offer lovely lunch and dinner menus. Their hours are Monday - Friday 11am - 12am, and Saturdays 4pm - 12am. You can find them at 415 Sansome Street.
More SF Hotel Recommendations
Other Fun Things to Do In SF
Back to the Top