Love is in the air this Valentine's Day in San Francisco. This 2019 insider's guide shows you the top things to do including where to find the best hideaways and intimate places for dinner or drinks. You'll get great ideas on how to make the evening or weekend with your valentine extra special.
Read on to find the best restaurant menus, romantic bars, and a few hidden hotels. You will also find information about top events for the holiday, including SF Broadway performances and a few Valentine's Day bay cruises.
Disclaimer: I receive a small commission from some of the links on this page.
The Great San Francisco Pillow Fight will once again be at Justin Herman Plaza this year. It's open to everyone and starts at 5:50pm on February 14. Make sure to arrive with your pillow in a bag. When the clock strikes 6pm, it's time to begin the fun. Please don't hit anyone without a pillow in their hand (unless they want you to hit them)!
Head to the theater this Valentines Day in San Francisco! Catch performances of Hamilton at the Orpheum Theater the entire week of Valentine's Day (2/12 - 9/8). This award winning Broadway musical is the untold story about Alexander Hamilton including his rise to fame and untimely death.
Other shows this week include include King of Yees at the SF Playhouse and Late Company at the New Conservatory Theater.
If you and your date enjoy classical music, you will love this SF Symphony performance. You can see Andras Schiff as he plays and conducts J.S. Bach alongside the SF Symphony.
Shows runs from 2/14 - 2/17 at Davies Symphony Hall.
The San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition is the largest competition of American wines in the world. This highly anticipated event offers a public tasting where you can sip and sample the wines entered into the competition. The 2019 public tasting is the Saturday after Valentine's Day in San Francisco, February 16. This tasting usually sells out in advance, so buy your tickets online to reserve your spot today.
This Valentines Day in San Francisco, you will find several fun concerts. Some of the top picks include Dark Star Orchestra at the Warfield (2/15 & 2/16), Kacey Musgraves at the Nob Hill Masonic Center (2/16), and Cavetown at the Great American Music Hall (2/17).
The SF Ballet offers two shows this holiday week. On Valentine's Day in San Francisco, you can catch Program 3 (The Fifth Season, Snowblind and Etudes) on stage at the War Memorial Opera House. The second performance on stage this week is Program 2 which includes Divertimento No. 15, Appassionata and Anima Animus. Both shows are on stage several times this week.
You will find a good selection of bay cruises for Valentine's Day every year. Read on for details about your best 2019 options.
Aphrodite's Premier Valentine's Cruise
Amore Valentine's Dinner Cruise
SF Bay Cruise Adventure
San Francisco Twilight Cruise
More SF Bay Cruises: Top Five SF Bay Cruises
SF Bay Area: Find additional Valentine's Day events around the Bay Area. Click here for details.
There are hundreds of hotels in San Francisco, but many are in the chaos of the city. Here you will find some of my favorite 'off the beaten path' options, where you can spend a little time snuggling with your sweetheart.
Are you looking for a great hotel deal for Valentine's Day? Several hotels are already offering deals for Valentine's Day 2019. Visit TripAdvisor for the most up-to-date list of hotel deals available for your special Valentine's Day celebration!
Other fun things do to this Valentine's Day in San Francisco is to explore the city on one of these tours. You can sample some of our gourmet goodies, learn more about the history of our colorful city, or search for our famous parrots around Telegraph Hill.
Here are five fun tours to check out this holiday weekend.
1. North Beach & Little Italy Food Tour: Enjoy the tastes of San Francisco's Little Italy neighborhood, North Beach. On this 3-hour tour, you will sample fresh baked breads, handmade pizza, local olive oils, and more. This tour runs daily at 10am and 2pm. Check ticket availability for this food tour.
2. Free Walking Tours: Every day of the week, SF City Guides offers free walking tours of top districts and attractions. You can explore the Golden Gate Bridge, learn all about the Chinatown District, and discover key points of interest from the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. Find out more about the tours offered for this weekend.
3. Parrots of Telegraph Hill: Are you looking for a unique experience this Valentine's Day in San Francisco? This fun tour offers you the chance to search for our famous parrots of Telegraph Hill. The tour runs on both Saturday and Sunday and offers 3-hours of entertainment. Find out more about this tour.
4. Napa & Sonoma Day Tour: If you and your honey love wine, then head up to Napa and Sonoma on this fun full day tour. You will visit wineries in both regions and learn all about the wine making process. You will taste at 3 wineries and also get some free time to explore during lunch. Get information about the tour and ticketing information.
5. Half-Day Muir Woods Tour: Spend some time among the Coastal Redwood Tress at Muir Woods National Park. This half-day tour offers you the chance to get up close and personal with these trees. Many of them are hundreds of years old. The tour runs at 9am and 3pm all weekend long. You can also choose to return to SF on the Sausalito Ferry. Find out more and get ticketing details.
These are some of the best restaurants for you and your sweetie!
All prices exclude taxes and gratuity. Tables fill up quickly so book yours today on OpenTable.com.
Parade & Festival
Are you interested in grabbing a drink with your valentine? Here are a few romantic spots to check out.
Activities in SF