SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAIL TO RECEIVE YOUR FREE SAN FRANCISCO PLANNING GUIDE.
Most people think that California is warm and sunny all year round. That isn't always true here as the San Francisco weather in February is often cool and rainy.
If you are planning to visit SF during this month, you will need to prepare for light rain and cool days. Thankfully, in between these cool rainy days, we also get some beautiful sunny and clear days too. So you really need to plan, and pack, ahead.
On this page, you will learn more about how to prepare for the weather during this month. You will also find some tips on what to wear, how to pack, and a few of my favorite things to do during this month.
The great news about visiting during this month is that it isn't as busy around our city. You will find some great deals on hotels, attractions, and tours. Since most of them are less crowded than during the summer, you will get a more personalized experience too.
San Francisco weather in February is usually quite a bit warmer than the rest of the US, Canada, Europe and other northern destinations during this month. So, even though we get some rain, it might be a nice change of temperature from those cold winter days in other parts of the northern hemisphere in February.
This is typically what you can expect during your stay.
Average High in February: 61° F/16° C
Average Low in February: 48° F/9° C
Average Monthly Rainfall: 4.6 inches
Record High: 81° F/ 27° C (2/26/1986)
Record Low: 31° F/-1° C (2/6/1989)
Disclaimer: I receive a small commission from some of the links on this page.
With the cool San Francisco weather in February, you will want to pack clothing that you can layer. With the highs around 60° F/16° C, you will need a light jacket, light sweater or shirt, and thin pants during the day.
At night, you will want to wear something a little warmer. Most places in SF are casual, so you can bring along jeans, a heavier jacket for the evenings, and a warmer sweater or shirt.
Don't forget your rain gear too!
If you are heading out on a cruise on the bay, you have two options. You can either bring along a few heavier items for the journey or enjoy the ride in the warm indoor area. These indoor areas have large windows, so you can listen to the narration and see everything through the windows while staying a bit warmer. You can also poke your head outside for a few photos and then come back inside to warm up a bit.
Find additional tips on what to wear during your visit.
1. Attend a festival: Most of the festivals during this time of year are indoors, but you will also find some large outdoor events as well. In February, you will find the Chronicle Wine Tasting Event, a portion of the Chinese New Year Festival (the parade is often in February or March), and the SF Giants Fanfest.
2. Go to one of our museums: SF has more than 50 museums. Many focus on a specific topic such as modern art, Asian art, or SF history. When the San Francisco weather in February is cool and rainy, these are a great retreat indoors to help you stay warm. Find a full list of all of our museums here.
3. Visit Alcatraz: Alcatraz is an interesting place to visit when it's cool and rainy. After your ferry ride over, you will step inside this gem and learn all about the inmates and everything that's happened here over time. It's not heated inside, so make sure to wear warm clothing. Learn more about visiting Alcatraz.
4. Enjoy some free activities: A great way to save on your visit is to enjoy some of our free activities. My list includes free attractions, events, and other things to do. Visit this page for details.
5. Watch a basketball or hockey game: Our winter sports teams have been making a name for themselves the last few years. Since the arenas are both indoors, it is warm and taking in a game is a popular option this time of the year. The Golden State Warriors basketball team plays at the Chase Center. Our local hockey team, the San Jose Sharks, are about an hour south in San Jose.
>> Find a list of my 25 favorite indoor activities
>> Best free things to do this month in SF
SF is a very walkable city. However, the San Francisco weather in February can be quite cool, so you might want to consider using our public transit to get around. Here are a few options to help you plan.
Cable Cars: The historic cable cars are a great option to get from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf. The ride is a little slow, but it's a fun way to cruise from one side of town to the other. Make sure to bundle up as you will be riding through the city and the cable cars are mostly open air. Click here for details on the two most popular lines between these two districts.
Buses & Light Rail: A faster way to get around town is by using our buses or mass transit. You can either pay a small fee for each ride or take advantage of a short-term Muni pass. The pass is available online or through their mobile app. Learn more about getting around in SF.
Comments? Questions? Suggestions?
I would love for you join me in my private Facebook group!
It’s a great place to interact with me and others that know the area well.
You can ask questions, get advice for your upcoming stay, and then share your photos and advice with others when you return home. It’s a great community and the fastest way to get answers to those nagging questions about your visit!