Monterey Cannery Row
The Top Restaurants, Shopping, Hotels &
John Steinbeck's Influence on This Popular Entertainment District
Monterey Cannery Row is a shopping and entertainment area in the cute, bay side town of Monterey, CA. It's also home to the world-renowned Monterey Bay Aquarium, several beautiful art galleries and comfortable hotels.
This famous district sits right on the water where you can go kayaking, swimming or just hang out on the beach. You can also sip on local wines as you enjoy the views of Monterey Bay.
This area of town originally housed a vibrant fish canning industry with a focus on sardines. The first fish cannery opened here in 1908. The industry thrived through World War I and II. Shortly after World War II, the over-fished sardines disappeared, and the industry collapsed.
Just a few years later, John Steinbeck published the book called Cannery Row. It romanticizes Monterey's Ocean View Avenue and the fishing industry in the area.
After the release of his book, many people came to visit so they could experience it for themselves. Soon after, they renamed Ocean View Avenue to Cannery Row.
Many credit Steinbeck and his book with saving the area from falling into disrepair after the canning industry collapsed.
Disclaimer: I receive a small commission from some of the links on this page.
Where to Go Shopping on Cannery Row
One of the biggest draws is the shopping. Within a four to five block area, you will find almost 100 stores. They feature everything from jewelry to gourmet food.
The shops along Cannery Row in Monterey CA
Here are many of the shops you will find here (all shops listed with ATC are in the American Tin Cannery at 125 Ocean View Boulevard).
- Apparel & Accessories
- California Classics (750 Cannery Row)
- Famous Footwear (ATC)
- IZOD (ATC)
- Lids (700 Cannery Row)
- Nine West Outlet (ATC)
- Pacific Coast Clothing & Gifts Company (685 Cannery Row)
- Pendelton Outlet (ATC)
- Sharky's Shirts (685 Cannery Row)
- Sockshop (649 Cannery Row & ATC)
- Sunglass Hut (750 Cannery Row)
- Van Heusen (ATC)
- Art Galleries
- Dick Crispo's Coastal Painting Gallery (700 Cannery Row)
- Thomas Kinkade of Monterey (400 Cannery Row)
- Gifts and Mementos
- Fine Art Turkish Grand Bazaar (685 Cannery Row)
- Himalayan Gifts (711 Cannery Row)
- La Dolce Vita Home & Garden Ideas (660 Cannery Row)
- Mackerel Jack's Trading Company (799 Cannery Row)
- Wind Rhythms (700 Cannery Row)
- Gourmet Food
- JERKYville (711 Cannery Row)
- Charms by the Bay (685 Cannery Row)
- European Jeweler & Goldsmith (400 Cannery Row)
- Steinbeck Jewelers (711 Cannery Row)
- Super Silver (700 Cannery Row)
- Z Folio Gallery (750 Cannery Row)
- Other Shops
- As Seen on TV (700 Cannery Row)
- Five & Dime General Store (660 Cannery Row)
- General Store (685 Cannery Row)
Just steps from Cannery Row is one of the largest Antique Malls on the Central Coast. The mall is 21,000 square feet with more than 100 antique dealers. You will find it at 471 Wave Street on the southern end of the district.
Head over to the mall to wheel and deal for the best price during these hours:
- Monday - Friday: 10 am to 5:30 pm
- Saturday: 10 am to 6 pm
- Sunday: 10 am to 5 pm
All Cannery Row Attractions
In addition to shopping, you will also find several attractions and ways to stay entertained.
Penguins playing around at the Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Highway 1 Golf, Games & Grub: Enjoy the games at this family fun center themed after California's Hwy 1, includes a 9-hole golf course of 3-D backlight mini-golf, Speed Freak which is an interactive competition game and all the latest video games, 751 Cannery Row
- MacAbbe Beach: Relax on the cool sands, take a dip in the water or go kayaking at MacAbbe Beach, on Cannery Row between McClellan and Prescott
- Monterey Mirror Maze & Lazer Challenge: Help solve the criminal mystery that looms over Monterey Cannery Row during the Lazer Challenge or bend your mind as you walk through the colorful and challenging Mirror Maze, 751 Cannery Row
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Watch the penguins play, enjoy the continuous movement of the Deep Sea and interact with 45-new family friendly exhibits at this world-renowned aquarium, 886 Cannery Row. Find skip the line tickets.
- Oceans 18 Backlight Miniature Golf: Play a round of mini golf with friends, in the American Tin Company at 125 Ocean View Boulevard
- Spirit of Monterey Wax Museum: Walk through the history of Monterey and see John Steinbeck interact with his friends at this small wax museum, the entire journey through time takes about 20 minutes, 700 Cannery Row
Where to Taste the Local Wines
One of my favorite things to do at Monterey Cannery Row is to sample some of the local wines.
The view from the wine tasting area at A Taste of Monterey
- A Taste of Monterey: Enjoy wines from one of almost 100 local wineries, catch views of the Monterey Bay as you sample the wines from the tasting room, you can also grab a seat in the bistro and enjoy some food while you taste, 700 Cannery Row (near the back on the building on the second floor). Check Groupon for tasting room discounts at A Taste of Monterey.
- Bargetto Wine Tasting Room: Taste handcrafted wines from the Santa Cruz Mountains, sample their Chardonnay, Pinot Noir or Merlot wines, 700 Suite G Cannery Row
- Carmel Ridge Winery Tasting Room: Sip on local Monterey wines including Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah, 700 Cannery Row, Suite C
Click here to find even more places to go wine tasting in Monterey and the surrounding communities.
The Best Cannery Row Restaurants
On Monterey Cannery Row, you will find restaurants that range from casual, family friendly places such as Johnny Rockets to high-end restaurants with a view such as the C Restaurant & Bar in the InterContinental Hotel.
The pulled pork sandwich at a local Monterey restaurant
These are just a few of my favorites.
- A Taste of Monterey: This is another favorite as you can sample the local wines while you enjoy your meal. They have some of the best views of Monterey Bay and offer everything from artisan cheeses to flat bread pizzas. 700 Cannery Row, in the back of the building on the top floor. Find discounts on Groupon.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Company: If you want something a little more casual or are traveling with kids, then this is a great option for you. This is the original Bubba Gumps location. They offer fresh seafood with some great views of Monterey Bay. They also offer outdoor seating and are open late. The downside is that they are often busy, so prepare to wait for a while for a table. 720 Cannery Row
- The Sardine Factory: This is one of the best places for seafood in Monterey. This award-winning restaurant offers a delicious menu with dishes such as Lobster Ravioli, Pan Seared Sole and Seared Wild Salmon. Other featured dishes include Portobelo Mushroom Ravioli, 8 oz. Boneless Beef Short Ribs and Pulled Muscovy Duck with Fresh Pappardelle Pasta. They also have one of the best wine lists in the US. 701 Wave Street
- Archie's American Diner: Another casual, family friendly option is Archie's American Diner. This 40's style diner serves up burgers, fries and shakes. You won't go home hungry. You will find it in the American Tin Company building a block up from the Monterey Bay Aquarium at 125 Ocean View Avenue.
My Favorite Cannery Row Hotels
Cannery Row is home to several highly rated hotels. Here are just a few of my favorites.
- Holiday Inn Express Monterey-Cannery Row: 443 Wave Street, 2.5 Stars
- Low Season: Start at $182
- High Season: Start at $230
- Best Western Plus Victorian Inn: 487 Foam Street, 3 Stars
- Low Season: Start at $180
- High Season: Start at $269
- Spindrift Inn: 652 Cannery Row, 3.5 Stars
- Low Season: Start at $175
- High Season: Start at $300
- Monterey Bay Inn: 242 Cannery Row, 3.5 Stars
- Low Season: Start at $165
- High Season: Start at $375
- Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa: 400 Cannery Row, 4 Stars
- Low Season: Start at $200
- High Season: Start at $500
- InterContinental The Clement Monterey: 750 Cannery Row, 4 Stars
- Low Season: Start at $230
- High Season: Start at $350
Read recent guest reviews and find the more competitive prices for these and other Monterey area hotels on Booking.com today!
Other Topics You Might Enjoy
Back to the Top