San Francisco Motels
The Five Best Budget-Friendly Motels in SF
Discover the five best San Francisco motels. Not all SF lodging options are expensive. There are a number of great, budget friendly options throughout the city.
Below are some of the best motel options in the city. Many of these have free parking, are clean and highly rated by guests.
Coventry Motor Inn
Address: 1900 Lombard Street
Nightly Rates: Start at around $111
Neighborhood: Marina District
One of the best San Francisco motels is the Coventry Motor Inn. The great thing about this motel is that it is clean and has free parking. SF parking is expensive, so free parking is a huge plus!
It's close to public transportation, so you can easily get to other areas of the city including Fishermans Wharf, Union Square and the Haight Ashbury District.
In addition to the free parking, you will also have:
- Free wired and wireless internet
- Non-smoking rooms
- One king, two queen or two double beds
- Well lit seating and work area in each room
- Rooms also include air conditioning color TV and coffee makers
- Marina Green/SF Waterfront: Five blocks north
- Union Street: Restaurants, bars and shopping are just three blocks south
- Fisherman's Wharf: 10 minutes away on the #30 bus
- Crooked Part of Lombard Street: It's a steep climb, but is only eight blocks east
- Fort Mason Center: Five blocks north
- Palace of Fine Arts: Ten blocks west
- Presidio: Nine blocks west
My Favorite Restaurants Near this Motel
- Pacific Catch: Casual seafood restaurant with great fish tacos, salads and other simple seafood dishes, great for lunch or dinner, 2027 Chestnut Street
- Luisa's Italian Restaurant: Cute, traditional Italian restaurant, 1851 Union Street
- Judy's Cafe: Casual brunch or lunch spot, great place to grab a seat outside on sunny days, 2268 Chestnut Street
- The Sandwich Spot: Amazing sandwiches and salads, you can grab and go or eat there, 3213 Pierce Street
- BIN 38: Cute wine bar with a good selection of small plates, love grabbing a spot outside when it's warm, 3232 Scott Street
Find the best deals for the Coventry Motor Inn on TripAdvisor.
Travelodge at the Presidio
Address: 2755 Lombard Street
Nightly Rates: Start at around $123
Neighborhood: Marina District
The Travelodge at the Presidio is another one of the San Francisco motels that I’d recommend for those on a budget.
This motel in San Francisco is located close enough to walk to both the Presidio and the Palace of Fine Arts. It’s also close to the Golden Gate Bridge.
You can also easily grab public transportation to get to other key neighborhoods throughout the city.
Some of the amenities here include:
- Free parking
- Free wireless internet access
- Free continental breakfast every morning
- Rooms include cable TV, in-room safes and air conditioning
- Pets allowed with a small pet fee
- Presidio: Lombard Street Gate is just two blocks away
- Disney Museum: Inside the Presidio, about a 10 minute walk from the hotel
- Palace of Fine Arts: About a 10 minute walk north
- Crissy Field: About a 15 minute walk north
- Lyon Street Stairs: 5 blocks, the only problem is that you will be at the bottom of them!
- Golden Gate Bridge: Bus stop to get to the bridge is just two block away
Favorite Restaurants Nearby
- Liverpool Lil's: This is one of my favorite pubs in the city, features comfort food including mac and cheese, fish and chips and burgers. Low key restaurant with a small bar. 2942 Lyon Street
- Presidio Social Club: Perfect for Saturday or Sunday brunch, also feature a great selection for lunch and dinner. Just inside the Presidio, New American Cuisine. 563 Ruger Street
- Starbucks: Okay, it's not an amazing place to eat, but the perfect place to grab your cup of morning joe. It's just a couple of blocks away, right inside the Presidio. Building C, 1 Letterman Drive
- Baker Street Bistro: This is just around the corner from the hotel, authentic French cuisine restaurant, make reservations if possible, since it gets full quickly. 2953 Baker Street
- Dixie: Higher end restaurant offers southern food, perfect for lunch, dinner or an afternoon snack, the bar is open all day, so you can grab a drink and some appetizers all day long, 1 Letterman Drive.
Compare prices for the Travelodge at the Presidio on Booking.com.
Columbus Motor Inn
Address: 1075 Columbus Street
Nightly Rates: Start at around $100
Neighborhood: North Beach
The Columbus Motor Inn is a hidden gem in the city. It's clean and reasonably priced. It's also right between the popular North Beach and Fishermans Wharf neighborhoods.
At this hotel, you will find both free parking and free high speed internet access. Other amenities available at this 45 room motel include:
- Family suites available
- All rooms include Serta Perfect Sleeper Mattresses
- 100% non-smoking property
- Well lit seating and work areas in all rooms
- Plasma TV, CD clock radio and individually controlled heat and air-conditioning
- North Beach: On the northern corner of North Beach with attractions just a few blocks away
- Fisherman's Wharf: The heart of Fisherman's Wharf is about five blocks north east of this motel.
- The Cannery: Four blocks north west on Columbus Avenue
- Ghirardelli Square: Six blocks north west
- Coit Tower: The 39 bus, that takes you up the steep hill to Coit Tower, is just three blocks away on the corner of Powell and Francisco Streets. The ride from here is only about 10 minutes.
- Diego Rivera Mural: One of Diego Rivera's Murals is inside the SF Art Institute at 800 Chestnut Street. This is just two blocks away.
- Lombard Street: The crooked section of Lombard Street is four blocks west of the hotel on Lombard and Leavenworth Streets.
My Favorite Restaurants Nearby
- Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House: Yes, it's a strange combination, but for some reason Kennedy's is able to do both very well. They also feature pool tables and a great happy hour. It's just around the corner from the hotel and a great go to place when staying here. 1040 Columbus Avenue
- Pat's Cafe: This is just a block away and the perfect spot for brunch. They open at 7:30am each morning, so you can grab a hearty breakfast before you set out for the day's adventure. 2330 Taylor Street
- La Rocca's Bar: This isn't a restaurant, but I wanted to mention it. It's a cute dive bar just a couple of blocks away. You will find some great beer selections and a local crowd that has been coming here for years. 957 Columbus Avenue
- Albona Restaurant: This is the only restaurant on the west coast serving Istrian cuisine. It's a mixture of Italian with eastern European additions such as cumin, pasta strudels, sauerkraut. It's an interesting mix of flavors and the perfect unique San Francisco experience. It is just a block and a half east of the hotel. 545 Francisco Street
- Taqueria San Jose: Cheap and yummy Mexican food grab and go restaurant serving tacos, burritos and quesadillas. They have just a few tables, so you can also eat in if you want. 2257 Mason Street
Another fun way to enjoy the North Beach district is by using my "Perfect Day in North Beach" itinerary. This self-guided tour offers you the best way to see all the top attractions in this district in just one day.
This is a great find in the city, but book early since rooms go quickly! Compare prices and book your room for the Columbus Motor Inn on TripAdvisor.
Other Highly Rated San Francisco Motels
- Hotel Del Sol: 3100 Webster Street
- This colorful motel has free breakfast and parking. They also have an outdoor swimming pool, wheel chair access rooms and allow pets.
- Neighborhood: Marina District
- Rooms start at around $171 a night
- Ocean Park Motel: 2690 46th Avenue
- This motel is just steps from Ocean Beach. It's in a quiet location that often benefits from the cool, San Francisco fog. It's far away from the action, but a great place if you want to escape from the crazy San Francisco streets each day.
- Neighborhood: Outer Sunset
- Rooms start at around $75 a night
- Redwood Inn: 1530 Lombard Street
- Another one of the San Francisco motels with free parking. It's in a great location along Lombard Street in the Marina District. You can easily get to other parts of the city from here - or enjoy many of the restaurants and bars right here in the neighborhood.
- Rooms start at around $100 a night
- Marina Motel: 2576 Lombard Street
- Here you will find free breakfast, parking and high-speed internet access. Pets are allowed and most rooms have a kitchenette. Make sure you ask for a courtyard room - as the rooms in the front are right on the busy part of Lombard Street.
- Neighborhood: Marina District
- Rooms start at around $145 a night
Find the best deal, compare prices, and read what other travelers have to say about these and other San Francisco Hotels on TripAdvisor.
Other Great Hotel Options
Back to the Top