Valentine's Day in San Francisco
Ideas to Make Your 2017 Valentine's Day Getaway Extra Special
Love is in the air this Valentine's Day in San Francisco. This insider's guide shows you where to find the best hideaways and intimate places for dinner or drinks. You'll get great ideas on how to make the evening or weekend with your valentine extra special.
Read on to find the best restaurant menus, romantic bars, and a few hidden hotels. You will also find information about top events for the holiday, including SF Broadway performances and a few Valentine's Day bay cruises.
One of several colorful hearts on display in San Francisco's Union Square
Great San Francisco Pillow Fight
The Great San Francisco Pillow Fight will once again be at Justin Herman Plaza this year. It's open to everyone and starts at 5:50pm on February 14. Make sure to arrive with your pillow in a bag. When the clock strikes 6pm, it's time to begin the fun. Please don't hit anyone without a pillow in their hand (unless they want you to hit them)!
Other Things to Do on Valentine's Day & Weekend 2017
San Francisco Theater & Best of Broadway Shows
Take your Valentine to the theater! Catch the last performances of Finding Neverland at the Orpheum Theater the weekend before Valentine's Day (up to February 12). This enchanting musical gives the backstory of Peter Pan. In addition, RENT, the 20th Anniversary Tour will be playing at the Golden Gate Theater from February 9 - 17. No musical can remind us of the power of love quite like this Tony Award-winning favorite.
More: Check out more shows on the full SF Theater Calendar
Dinner Detective Interactive Murder Mystery
Play around this Valentine's Day in San Francisco at the Le Meridien Hotel. Enjoy a four-course seated dinner as you try to guess who done it. Is it someone at your table or even the person sitting next to you? The night starts with table served appetizers, followed by a salad, a main course, and a dessert. In between each course, you will get a chance to investigate the crime. The first person to solve the mystery wins a prize package.
Tickets: Find tickets for Valentine's night at up to 50% off on Goldstar
San Francisco Symphony Performances
If you and your date enjoy classical music, the weekend before Valentine's Day, you can attend a performance of Bronfman, Blomstedt, Beethoven, and Brahms by the SF Symphony. This particular program runs February 9 - 12 at the Davies Symphony Hall in the Civic Center district. You'll find many other shows this month by clicking the link below.
More: Find additional information & tips to attend a performance
SF Chronicle Wine Competition
The San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition is the largest competition of American wines in the world. This highly anticipated event offers a public tasting where you can sip and sample the wines entered into the competition. The 2017 public tasting is the Saturday after Valentine's Day, February 18. This tasting usually sells out in advance, so buy your tickets online to reserve your spot today.
More: Event & ticketing information
Free Admission & Events at the de Young Museum
Head over to the de Young for One Love: A Celebration of Art & Community. On Saturday, February 11, enjoy free admission to their permanent collection and access to this day long event. The entire museum will be filled with love and creativity. Activities start at 12pm and lasts until 5pm. Click the link below to visit their site for more details and a full schedule of events.
More: Visit their site for more information and a full schedule of events
Special Valentine's Bay Cruises
You will find a good selection of bay cruises for Valentine's Day every year. Read on for details about your best 2017 options.
Aphrodite's Premier Valentine's Cruise
- Offered Tuesday, February 14
- 3-hour cruise
- 4-course seated dinner
- Hosted Top Shelf Bar
- DJ entertainment and dancing
- Business casual attire
- Beautiful views of SF from the bay
- Board at 6:45pm, cruise leaves Pier 3 at 7:30pm
- Tickets start at $179 per person (plus taxes and fees)
- Buy tickets today on Hornblower
Amore Valentine's Dinner Cruise
- Offered only on Tuesday, February 14
- 3-hour cruise
- Delicious dinner buffet
- Hosted premium bar
- Board at 6:30pm and leave at 7:00pm
- Business casual attire
- Tickets start at $145 per person (plus taxes and other fees)
- Buy tickets today
You will also find several cruises the weekend before Valentine's Day on Hornblower. Click here to check out their other cruises for this holiday.
Other Valentine's Day and Weekend Cruises
2-Hour Champagne & Mimosa Cruise
- 2-hour cruise includes two drinks per ticket (champagne, mimosas, beer, white wine, or soda)
- Cruise around the bay and under the Golden Gate Bridge
- Departs Pier 39 at 10am on Valentines Day (and every Saturday and Sunday)
- Full price $60, Goldstar price $45*
- Buy your tickets today on Goldstar
Valentine's Day Cruise on the Derek M. Baylis
- 3 hour sunset cruise with champagne toast under the bridge - soft music, roses and romance
- Surprise your sweetie with one of the free onboard Valentine’s Day gifts
- Feast on our famous finger foods that have given us that great reputation
- Large cabin and blankets with plenty of space for those who get chilled
- Buy your tickets on Eventbrite today
SF Bay Cruise Adventure
- 1-hour cruise around the SF Bay
- Listen to the narration as you cruise past top attractions including the Palace of Fine Arts, Alcatraz Island, and Sausalito
- Cruise under the famous Golden Gate Bridge for some of the best views of this gorgeous structure
- Several cruises leave several times a day, every day
- Find tickets on Goldstar at up to 50% off today!
San Francisco Twilight Cruise
- 2-hour cruise around the SF Bay
- A great option for the night or weekend before Valentine's Day
- Hearty appetizers and one cocktail with ticket (you can buy additional drinks in cash at the bar)
- Cruise past Alcatraz, see the shores of Sausalito, and ride under the Golden Gate Bridge
- Live commentary from the captain
- Indoor and outdoor seating
- Leaves from Pier 43 at 5:30pm, Thursday - Monday only
- Find tickets on sale on Goldstar at up to 50% off today!
More SF Bay Cruises: Top Five SF Bay Cruises
SF Bay Area: Find additional Valentine's Day events around the Bay Area. Click here for details.
Five Romantic San Francisco Hotels
There are hundreds of hotels in San Francisco, but many are in the chaos of the city. Here you will find some of my favorite 'off the beaten path' options, where you can spend a little time snuggling with your sweetheart.
- Hotel Drisco: This is a small four-star hotel in San Francisco's Pacific Heights neighborhood. It's set among some of the most beautiful houses and mansions in the city. The neighborhood is quiet, but close to many cute shops, restaurants and bars. 2901 Pacific Avenue. Rooms start at around $275 a night.
- The Inn at the Presidio: This newer inn offers a great getaway within the city. It sits inside the gates of the Presidio, an old army base and national historic landmark. They offer 22 rooms and 17 of them are suites. Many offer a small outdoor patio with a gas fire pit and porches with rocking chairs. Inside the rooms you'll find gas fireplaces and plenty of luxury. 42 Moraga Avenue. Rooms start at around $195 a night.
- Union Street Inn: The Union Street Inn is a romantic bed and breakfast in San Francisco's Marina District. With only six guest rooms, you always get warm and personalized service. There is also a serene cottage garden which is a beautiful spot for a relaxing breakfast or afternoon tea. 2229 Union Street. Rooms start at around $220 a night.
- Chateau Tivoli Bed and Breakfast: This small B&B is just steps from Alamo Square Park and the colorful Victorians (also known as Painted Ladies) that surround it. Set in a historic building, Chateau Tivoli offers nine guest rooms. Enjoy some time on your own or join others for some wine and snacks each afternoon. 1057 Steiner Street. Rooms start at around $100 a night.
- Cavallo Point: You'll find this 4.5-star hotel just to the north of the Golden Gate Bridge. This resort offers some of the best views of the bridge and the city of San Francisco. You can choose either unique historic or contemporary lodging. There is also a spa on site, where you and your valentine can relax in its peaceful and tranquil setting. Murray Circle, the on-site restaurant, serves up some of the best dishes in the Bay Area. 601 Murray Circle. Rooms start at around $314 a night.
Are you looking for a great hotel deal for Valentine's Day? Several hotels are already offering deals for Valentine's Day 2017. Visit TripAdvisor for the most up-to-date list of hotel deals available for your special Valentine's Day celebration!
Restaurant Specials on Valentine's Day
These are some of the best restaurant specials for you and your sweetie!
- Park Tavern: Romantic North Beach restaurant, $95 per person, prix fixe menu with optional wine pairing for an additional $65 per person
- Spruce: Presidio Heights gem with a $160 per person prix fixe menu, $95 per person optional wine pairing
- Pabu: Financial District Japanese restaurant, order off the regular menu or try something off their special "Kaidese" Valentine's menu
- 54 Mint: Italian restaurant in SOMA with a 3-course meal for $75 per person, optional wine pairing also available
- RN74: Contemporary French cuisine in SOMA, 5-course menu for $105 per person
- Corridor: Hayes Valley Contemporary American restaurant, 4-course prix fixe menu for $45 in their mezzanine dining room or you can eat downstairs in their first come, first served section where they will offer their regular menu
- Barcha: Mediterranean option in the Financial District with a $60 3-course meal or a $75 per person 4-course meal
All prices exclude taxes and gratuity. Tables fill up quickly so book yours today on OpenTable.com.
Other Restaurants You Might Enjoy: Fine Dining | Italian | Union Square
Other Top Events in SF in February
Five Romantic SF Bars
Are you interested in grabbing a drink with your valentine? Here are a few romantic spots to check out.
- Hotel Biron Wine Bar: This is a cute and very small wine bar in the Hayes Valley neighborhood. It's off the main street and the perfect place to grab a drink either before or after dinner. They are open every day from 5pm - 2am. They're located at 45 Rose Street (between Market Street & Gough Street).
- The Hidden Vine: This is another wine bar hidden just a few streets away from Union Square. It's cute, quaint, and the perfect place for a date night. They are open on Mondays 4 - 10pm, and Tuesday - Saturday 4pm - 12am. The address is 408 Merchant Street.
- Two Sisters Bar and Books: Another romantic bar in San Francisco is the newly opened Two Sisters Bar and Books. This small, charming bar in the Hayes Valley neighborhood is long and skinny, only allowing for tables with two chairs. They also have a limited food menu. They are open Tuesday - Thursday 4pm - 11pm, Fridays 4pm - 12am, Saturdays 12pm - 12am, and Sundays 12pm - 10pm. Find them at 579 Hayes Street.
- Muka Underground Wine & Dessert Lounge: Do you want to grab drinks and something sweet? If so, head over to Muka. This cute and romantic bar serves wine, beer, and some of the most amazing desserts. They also offer a small number of savory options such as crispy pommes frites and fromage & charcuterie plates. They open every day from 4pm - 1am at 370 Grove Street.
- The Barrel Room: Here's another romantic and low key option for your visit. It has an intimate setting and is the perfect date night location. They serve wine and beer, and offer lovely lunch and dinner menus. Their hours are Monday - Friday 11am - 12am, and Saturdays 4pm - 12am. You can find them at 415 Sansome Street.
More SF Hotel Recommendations
Other Fun Things to Do In SF
Back to the Top